Thursday, February 11, 2010

Politics and Knitting (not that they go together)

Knitting in groups, one may find that the conversations can run quite a gammit, reaching out to current events, social affairs and politics. Knitting groups as many knitters know, can be very ecclectic and diverse.
For me, I thrive in the environment and my relationship with DH can attest to my drive for intelligent  and factual conversation.
One thing that we sometimes do not get about our fellow Americans, is that we tend to hear a lot of parroting of information where people have not checked thier facts.
Another thing I find that makes my head shake, is how anyone who is poor in this country could be Republican.
How is it that we need to check even foreign news to get a better view of what is happening in our own country.
Thomas Frank, an american writer and Journalist thinks that US voters have become blind where thier real interests are concerned.
"It's like a French revolution in reverse in which the workers come pouring down the street screaming more power to the aristocracy."
I have always shaken my head when I hear people in working class and in moderate to low income espousing the value of the Republican party. For more information on this topic and other information, follow that link below.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8474611.stm

I have been catching bits of the televised capital sessions and I have to say something about wages and how things are going inthis country.

Yes in these times we all need to tighten our belts. Trickel down economic theory is just that, theory. I caught a bit of a sesson on the Minnesota bonding bill and to negate a law in order to pay workers less in these economic times is in my opinion, the wrong answer.
We pay for what we get, however, in a time when taxpayers and businesses (this began before the hard economic times, if you will remember, budgets have long been tried to be balanced on the backs of workers along with company bottom lines). If Governments and companies truly want to cut costs and lower wages, They have to start at the top, before they get to the working class.
Cut out bonuses for five years, do not give the governors, presidents or auditors raises until the crisis is over; STOP vicitimizing the American workers for heavens sake. Dear aristocracy, put your money where your mouth is!

Knitting is going very well. I have completed the front and back of my Red Dolce' cable sweater and I am working on the sleeves and making good progress. I am sewing shoulders tonight, then picking up and knitting the neck.
Finished or not, this weekend I am picking up the rest of the yarn for my gray Rowan cable Narvik sweater and finishing that by March 5th. so I can wear it to the Rowan show at the Textile Center for the Knitters Guild. I am very excited and looking forward to this.

Puppy Patrol
Bella has gained a few ounces and keeps Sadie quite active, they play quite a bit and Sadie actually chews rawhide at home now. For a bit we were not getting a lot of sleep, but now Bella is sleeping better at night so we all are. Yeah!

Happy Knitting Everyone

No comments: