Monday, March 17, 2008

Trying not to be confused


After a false start, I am making progress on my Angel lace shawl. I say false start because I dropped a few stitches that ran down and since I was on row 11, I knew I would not be able to pick up stitches and pull the pattern back together as I did that.
That was when I remembered the advice I was given about lace knitting and the possibility of dropped stitches.
Running lines. After every few rows; using a darning needle and a contrasting yarn color, run the yarn through the row of stitches. That way if you drop stitches, a needle falls from your work or some unforeseeable catastrophe (perhaps a cat) strikes your lace knitting, the stitches will only fall as far as the yarn anchor you have run through your work, then if you have to, you can go back to that row and proceed.
I have to say I am improving at knitting with a crochet provisional cast on. After row 30, the pattern repeats get a bit tricky; there isn't a graph and the instructions tell you how many times to increase the repeats with each additional row and set of rows, my brain is going OY!
I got an idea! If its okay to make a copy of a pattern for personal use, perhaps it is okay as well, to write the pattern out to the end of the 12 sets of repeated rows?
Having faith in the personal copy part, I sat at the computer and wrote out the instructions and repeats, math and all. I thought that would be easier than trying to graph it, which I might if I decide to make another shawl (for personal use only).
Now I need to keep track of completed rows for both my shawl and my campanula lace sock.
I don't know what I was thinking. I have a few lace project cued up; my highland lace shawl is hibernating at this point, I have every thing together for three additional lace shawls.
Must be some sort of self punishment, I don't know.
The picture is the angel lace shawl prior to re-start, I will take new pictures as I make more progress.

No comments: